Why? Because when you are trying to achieve something, your vision is everything!
How can you know where to go if you can’t see where you are heading? In order to achieve something, we have to have a vision for what we want to achieve and we must create a step by step plan. If you start a road trip without a GPS and you haven’t researched your directions, won’t it take you forever to get to the destination, with lots of wrong turns and bumps along the way. Wouldn’t it be so much easier to get there if you had mapped it out before hand?
The same goes for your health! Have a vision for where you want to go. And create a plan for how you are going to get there. And don’t let the road bumps of life throw you off track. You have a destination that you are heading to and you must stay focused on the path to get you there. What happens if you are heading to the airport and there is traffic and you arrive at the airport and miss your flight? You don’t throw in the towel, turn around and go back home do you? No! You go speak with an agent, and you figure out a new way to get to your destination. You are relentless about figuring it out, even if it means flying standby on the next flight because you want to get there!
So why don’t we treat our health the same way? Things will inevitably come up, yes. But this is a part of life. Our commitment to our vision has to be so strong that even when things come up, we don’t lose our focus.
1. Set realistic goals – You can always adjust to a bigger goal once you’e achieved the first goal.
2. Have a vision – Write down a list of not only what you want but how you want to FEEL. Let feeling great be your motivator, not the number on the scale! Find photos that will motivate you and keep you focused on where you are going and keep them around you.
3. Be positive – Leave post in notes around your car, your bedroom, your kitchen, your bathroom! Always be reminding yourself of what you want to achieve and how you can get there. It takes constant effort to make lasting change. It doesn’t just happen overnight. So be persistent with yourself.
4. Create a support team – Reach out to family members or co-workers and create accountability partners. Tell them what you are trying to do so you have to report to someone. Who knows, you may even help them to want to be more healthy by including them in your vision!
5. Be patient with yourself – It’s important to have a vision but it’s also important to know that things take time. We all want results overnight, but it took years to get into the state that you’re currently in and it will take time to make lasting change. Don’t beat yourself up but instead be gracious with yourself. You are making an effort to be your best self and for that you should be proud of yourself. You may trip up along the way, but we all do at some point. We are human, not perfection. That’s what makes us beautiful. Being aware of when you don’t do something right is massive and the first step to creating change! So be happy with yourself that you are trying first and foremost!