As a society, we’ve become obsessed with possessing what we don’t have.
We fantasize about places, people, and things we want to have, all while abandoning the precious moments right in front of us. How many times have you seen others take pictures of the most routine moments of their lives just to post them online? It wasn’t long ago when we would enjoy even the most ordinary moments and keep them in our memories. Social networks, while connecting our world digitally, can degrade social interaction. Some people measure their happiness by what their friends share on social media. Viewing our lives through a competitive lens is not healthy. As the saying goes, “Comparison is the thief of joy”.
Don’t get me wrong. Social media is fine but it’s not everything. Ambitions, not necessarily competitiveness, are important. They help move us towards achieving the long-held dreams.
The challenge we often face in life is we treat our present moments as an “on-and-off” switch. We cut off ourselves from the “present moment” and tune in instead to the “fantasies.” It’s normal to take mental vacations; however, when we pack our mental bags with a life in which we have more freedom, a perfect job, perfect home, perfect mate, perfect health, perfect bank balance, we can leave behind the process of achieving the goals we originally set our minds to achieve.
As a wise man once said, “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step”. There’s nothing wrong with visualizing a better life. However, in order for that dream to come true, you need to put in a decent amount of effort, too.
As my father told me once, “Never forget where you came from and never forget where you want to go”. He also taught me that feeling happy comes from inside us, not from external circumstances.
Life is sometimes hard. Living a life full of meaning is even harder. Every day deserves our acknowledgement, and we should appreciate it even with the smallest achievements.
We shouldn’t expect things to happen to us. We need to make those things happen. Surrendering to a life you’re currently living, based on your circumstances, is not a healthy outlook. No matter the circumstances life throws in our path, it’s vital to understand our purpose in every stage of our lives. As I’ve said before, “Live a Life with Purpose and You Will Never Be Bored.” I feel blessed to have the life I had and the opportunity to start it with my first successful business at the age of 16.
At the same time, when we distant ourselves too much from our present, everything around us becomes an illusion. To wonder off into a fantasy may give us a temporary false sense of happiness. However, by ignoring our present situation, we won’t find happiness where we think it lies. Never become so caught up in where you’re going that you fail to celebrate where you are. Every day deservers our acknowledgement, and we should appreciate even the smallest achievements. We have to find that balance.
As a successful entrepreneur, I never created companies with monetary reasons in mind. I’m out to create change, disrupt the marketplace with personal ideas, and create jobs. Money is just a by-product. I do it because I have a dream. I do it because I believe in something. It may involve sacrifice and a fair share of risk and hustle. At the end of the day, though, I know I’m contributing to something greater than myself. I’m lucky to do the latter through my non-profit, The Chahal Foundation, which has a positive impact on thousands of impoverished children in Third World countries.
A large part of appreciating where you are is an understanding that everything is temporary. Who you’re with, where you are, the memories, routine, people, and laughs you enjoy – are all momentary. To discount a part of life just because it’s temporary is foolish; our time on this planet is all finite moments. One day, you may look back but only in regret if you don’t embrace each moment while also keeping an eye on the future.
Loving the struggle, embracing what it takes, understanding your sacrifices, and acknowledging those who helped you along the way are all part of the process of becoming better individuals. When we understand the present and embrace it, we can learn to appreciate the goodness we actually give and receive.
Here are few extremely important things to remember when your head and heart are heavy.
· First and foremost, you’re alive. You’re living the very moment. Feel blessed enough to be here and enjoy the present moment.
· If you have self-doubts, get rid of them quickly. BELIEVE in yourself. You’re capable of achieving anything. Praise yourself with positive affirmations.
· Find a place within you, where doubt won’t exist and go there. Search for the internal Zen-zone with confidence.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible”.
· Don’t ever let anyone tell you you’re not worthwhile. Never let negative energy invade your dreams. If you notice it creeping up on you, learn to move it away.
· Give yourself a healthy dose of positivity. Be with people who make you feel as if you’re at home. Be with people who bring out the warmth and happy feelings within you. Surround yourself with the people who have your back, who want to see you succeed. These people are your loyal fans and will support you during your ups and downs. Not, just during the good times.
· Affirmations are helpful. I recommend you take a minute and say something that will bolster you. Believe in your creativity. Believe you’re a good person. Believe you’re here to bring positive change to the world. Believe you have the potential to change the world.Since memories last forever:
· Don’t let fear hold you back. Follow your heart and let it tell you what to do.· Special moments in our lives define us. These memories will tell where you’ve been, where you’re headed, and, most of all, where they take you.
· While easier said than done, it’s true that anything IS possible. Don’t let failures tar your memories. Failure is a lesson learned, so keep moving forward. The only real failure in life is to quit.
Life is a masterpiece, waiting to be painted.
· You’re the artist of everything YOU. Anything you think, say, or do will always come back to you. You are your masterpiece, a life with limitless options.
· Clear all clouds of doubt. Direct your thoughts, words, and actions towards feeling good.
· Put all your effort into it. Start and end your day with the positivity. Make magic happen.
· You are meant to love and be loved. Don’t let fear or rejection block your future happiness. Seek the moments and let happiness happen.
· Always make time for family. Make time for your loving and supportive parents. They gave the life you live. Give them your unconditional love and return their support. Repay their kindness with affection and admiration. Often, that’s all they want.
· As I mentioned before, always surround yourself with those who understand you. This intimate group, I guarantee, you will be able to count with your hands. They often put a smile on your face during the dire times. They are there for you in the bad times and will prop you up as you will for them, which is why you need to love them back.
· When you feel hopeless, remember you’re living a life you and your choices created. If you’re tired, bored, or sick of that life—change it. It’s within your power. Stunning thought, isn’t it?
· Reflect on your past and learn from it. Use it to make the best of your present and then bring it to your future to bring your dreams to life.
· Most importantly, when people tell you’re not worth it or can’t accomplish your dreams, just smile and say, “Watch me.” Do this for yourself.
Most beautiful things in life are not things. They are people, places, and moments you shared to make lifetime memories. Seek to make the most of every moment. For every moment gone is a moment you can’t relive.
Follow Gurbaksh on Twitter: https://twitter.com/gchahal
Follow Gurbaksh on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/officialGChahal/
Follow Gurbaksh on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gchahal/
Follow Gurbaksh on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gchahal/
Add me on Telegram Group: https://t.me/officialGChahal
Read more blogs by Gurbaksh Chahal.
Watch Gurbaksh Chahal Interview with Oprah Winfrey.
Want to receive more udpates?
Subscribe to get the most up-to-date business trends, advice, and a daily dose of entrepreneurship.